The worst thing about common cold & cough is: it doesn’t have any cure. Though we can take a few medications but still it will only work to help with the symptoms. So, instead of taking multiple pills (which is any ways not going to cure) the better option is to try few natural home remedies. Since common cold & cough lasts for about a week, the best way to beat the discomfort is to try these home remedies.
1. Ginger & Honey:
The chemicals contained in ginger are very effective in dealing with inflammation. Honey is a wonderful remedy for sore throat and it can also relieve cough. For this home remedy mix together 1/2 tsp of fresh ginger juice and 1 tsp of honey and drink it. This home remedy will give you relief from a cough.
2. Tulsi (holy basil) Tea:
Tulsi leaves are amazing for a range of infections including colds and cough. Black pepper stimulates mucus flow. Jaggery is also quite beneficial in chronic cough. For this home remedy:
- boil 1 cup of water along with 10 to 11 basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder
- 1 tsp of Jaggery
This Tulsi tea works well for both cold and cough.
Garlic has antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. Garlic also protects against cough and cold. For this home remedy:
- Take 4 to 5 cloves of garlic and fry it in ghee
- Consume the fried garlic warm.
The biggest risk is not taking any risk. In a world that’s changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.
4. Salt Water Gargle:
Salt water gargle is an age-old effective home remedy that treats sore throat. When you have sore throat, the tissues of the throat get swollen with the accumulation of fluids. When you gargle with salt water, salt pulls the water away from tissue and reduces inflammation, thus providing temporary relief. For this home remedy:
- Dissolve 1/2 tsp of salt in a full glass of warm water
- Gargle the solution for a few seconds before spitting it out
5. Milk and Turmeric:
Turmeric is not just a spice that is found in every Indian kitchen but it has been used in Ayurveda medicines for thousands of years. Turmeric has antiviral and antibacterial properties which helps to fight infections. For this home remedy:
- Mix 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk
- Drink this turmeric milk before going to bed
It helps in faster recovery from cold and cough.
6. Honey & Lemon Tea:
Honey is a wonderful remedy for sore throat and cough as it soothes the throat. Lemon juice helps cut through congestion. For this home remedy:
- Add 2 slices of lemon and 1 tsp of honey to a glass of water
- Heat the solution so that it becomes little warm
- Consume the solution and it helps in both cough and cold
7. Saline Drops:
Saline drops work really well for kids since it helps in mucus drainage. To clear the nasal cavity put few drops of it in each nostril and let the child blow his/her nose. In case of adults neti pots(or Jala Neti ) work well but that requires practice .
If you don’t stand for something you’ll fall for anything.
Warm steam helps to loosen the congestion and soothes the tissues of the nose and throat. For better result add few drops of eucalyptus essential oil. For this home remedy:
- Fill a pot with boiling water
- Place a towel over your head
- Breath in the steam (close your eyes to avoid irritation)
9. Blowing Your Nose:
Always blow your nose as sniffling mucus back can force the mucus into the ears and you will end up having earache. To blow your nose correctly:
- Press a finger over one nostril (block one nostril)
- Gently blow to clear the other
- Switch and blow again
10. Plenty of Rest:
The best home remedy for cold and cough is rest. Plenty of rest helps your immune system to fight the virus better. So, when you sick along with home remedies get some restorative sleep.